Monday, June 20, 2011

Basilica San Marco

Would you hate me if I didn't write a long blog post about St. Mark's? Because it didn't really do anything for me. I got lost and walked in the wrong end of the building because it's right by the Patrician's palace and that has a huge museum that I walked around in FOREVER before making it to the line and then I kinda sorta ducked under the ropes because no one was around to tell me where to go and I just figured I'd head in and they got the couple that came in before me because they had a backpack but I just had my purse so I slipped in with this tour group and then wandered around inside except there's not much to see because all the interesting stuff, even one of the side altars, cost money and I was spending entirely too much on my hostel to pay money for some other treasury that I didn't want to see and it was dark and big and gold, which I think fits the city- you know, pretty and rich, but you don't feel like you could live here- and they didn't even allow pictures inside, not to mention that the guards were super intimidating, and anyway, I needed to find the church that they had in the Last Crusade, because clearly I have a one track mind when it comes to things in Venice and that one track does not involve keeping up with the time so that my friend isn't stuck outside reading her book and waiting on me (man, are cellphones useful things) while it could, potentially be raining.
Also, the entrance to the church is on ramps because the city floods at high tide.

And there are pigeons.

Here, to make it up to you, I give you a string of picture of churches and a cute little girl holding pigeons, which is the thing to do in San Marco Piazza.



This is actually the side of San Marco.


Front of San Marco.




Indiana Jones Church! San Barnaba. 

See, isn't she precious? Wasn't it worth it for this?
I just can't help myself. I love this lion.
Also, gondoliers.

No comments:

Post a Comment