Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Aux Champs-Elysees

Thanks to my high school French teacher, I can't think of the Champs-Elysees without hearing this song in my head. What is slightly more disturbing is the fact that we actually listened to this version in class. Ah, my life.

She also had all of us memorize the countries in Europe and which ones were in the European Union and the monuments of Paris. Have I ever mentioned this before? I mean, this might be the only reason that I know that Portugal is in Europe because, due to an entire lack of geographical and a minimal historic education, I spent most of my adolescent life thinking it was in South America. And I was voted most intelligent in my senior class in high school. Hmm American education.

So, in a pictorial homage to the things I learned in high school, here are a few pictures of the Champs-Elysees to go along with the song. Because I was determined to.

Aux Champs-Elysées, (on the Champs-Elysees)


aux Champs-Elysées, (on the Champs-Elysees)






Au soleil, (in the sun)


sous la pluie, (in the rain)


à midi (at noon)


ou à minuit (or at midnight)

OK, not on the Champs-Elysees but I was there at midnight! I just didn't take any pictures.
Il y a tout ce que vous voulez aux Champs-Elysée (Everything you want is on the Champs-Elysees, a line that I could never remember)
But here's Notre Dame, proving that the lyrics of the song are inherently flawed, because I cannot find it on the Champs-Elysees, whether in the sun or rain or at noon or midnight.
Best wishes getting that oh-so catchy tune out of your head!

No comments:

Post a Comment