Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Churches in Vienna

When I opened the directions to my hostel, it said, look for the large domed church and we're a street over. I have a good habit of picking hostels with churches nearby. And this made me realize that Vienna is a great city in which to play my favorite game: Let's Find a Church!

There are churches in neighborhoods when you're lost:

Churches on main streets:
Peterskirche

Churches that surprise you when you turn a corner with their murals:
Kapuzinerkirche
 Big churches,
Stephansdom, the cathedral 
 Little churches,

 Even churches in train stations!

They're restoring it.
These are just the churches that I snapped pictures of walking around Vienna. I don't have an exact number, but from scanning this list, which doesn't even claim to be complete, I'm going to guess there are over seventy.  And there are so many pretty ones to see and I was there for quite a long time (it might have even been six whole days!) and you might be wondering why I'm only writing up posts on two churches, when there are so many more to be visited.

Well, part of it is that travelling really takes it out of you and the other part of it has to do with my interview for this scholarship in the first place. I had this crazy long list of churches I wanted to visit, like maybe 190 or something like that. The interviewers looked at the ambitious list and asked what I would do if I didn't get to all of them? Did I have time planned in to do all the touristy things I'd like to do? I answered with something along the lines of "I like to be busy and I like a challenge and anyway, this is more of a list of goals. I won't be heartbroken if I miss a couple." One of the interviewers suggested getting to know the places better, maybe picking fewer churches and getting to know them better. I said I'd take it into consideration.

Consider the idea considered.

I was a little overwhelmed by the churches in Vienna. I had my list, but I also have a wonderful habit of running into churches that are quite worth the visit. I decided, sitting in St. Stephen's, that I'd focus on this church, really get to know it, and turn that in for this town. Then I ran into St. Peter's and figured I'd have to turn this in as well.

I'm not going to say that I'm going to only pick two churches per city from now on (in fact, I know I can't do that in Rome), but I am going to allow myself to be limited. I loved Vienna and I don't think I'd spend more time in churches, checking off a list. And even though every church has its own impact, some can make that impact in one viewing and some take more. I'm not afraid to take more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment